Thursday 1 April 2010

Live from The Artist's Cafe 'where the food is art'. Yum.

At last some internet connection. We're having a milkshake and the kids are playing on a rusty tractor. (It's gloriously health-and-safety-free here, you can dangle from a balcony if you want, or stand in the back of a pick up truck, it's all up to you). We've had a great few days. Personally I feel like my insides and brain have been taken out and are being jiggled around before being put back in. Not in a 'Delhi Belly' kinda way, more that we're way out of our comfort zone and everything is so different it makes you think and sometimes that's tough. In a good way though.

The Worthing team should be on their way over now, and I can't wait. I have compiled a rota so that we can take turns to absorb Evie's non-stop narrative on events. "Aww, look, a puppy dog.... ooo, gorgeous chair.... mum,mum, look - a baby.." it goes on and on. She does seem to be sleeping a lot though which is apparently due to the high altitude. We've taken to blaming anything irregular on this. I was even told that water boils at a lower temperature so therefore your cup of tea cools quicker (?), and I remember once being told that it causes you to have funny dreams. Talking of tea, thanks for all the comments. Tim I thought of you talking about me being a lady when I got out my granny's opera glasses from their red leather clasped purse - ha ha!! To look at a gnu. I doubt there was ever a gnu seen through them before, especially in Hertfordshire, and it made me giggle. "We're all ladies here you know!" We were at a sanctuary for wild cats where we saw all kinds of wonders, safely caged. You'll never guess Evie's favourite bit though - an egg in a birds' nest. (Pigeon's I think Julie x)

As I write Colin is desperately putting together a preach for tomorrow morning. People are flying in from all over for a conference that starts tonight, so the pressure's on. It is all translated so it'll take twice the time, therefore he only needs to prepare half the amount, surely? It was a bit weird this morning to meet a gang from Dubai, including Harold and Pixie from Pakistan, who recognised us as they came to dinner at our house in 2002!! Normally I would remember what I was wearing etc but I was pregnant at the time so.... nothing.

This morning we climbed a mountain behind our house and surveyed the view - stunning. I have a feeling the boys will always remember it because they scrambled far away up on the rocks and were really proud of themselves. Some street dancing may have occurred at the top but they probably wouldn't want me to tell you about it.

OK well that's probably enough for now. The next few days should be fascinating. Rich and poor, black and white sharing a few days together. We have seen porsches, and even a Rolls Royce in this tiny town (Isaac's wishes came true!). We've also seen tin shacks with piles of wood keeping the roof on. It's very extreme, but in the church, Dihlabeng, everyone is there under one name and with one purpose. I apologise in advance for getting a bit 'churchy' the next few days if that's not your thing, but hopefully you'll get the gist (or you can zone out for a while). Hey, if Col's preach bombs we can sing "Ebony and Ivory" instead, we've already practised the harmonies in the car. If you know Col you know it's vital he carries the tune otherwise it all goes horribly wrong, which is endlessly amusing on long journeys. (Who puts this stuff on my iPod anyway??)


2 comments:

  1. Hi Pam - great to read your blog - brings back memories of last year staying at the farm and being at the meetings. Glad to hear you and the kids are enjoying it - no doubt Colin is as well but will no doubt enjoy it even more after the conference/pressure is over. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denyer Girlies4 April 2010 at 14:15

    Hello Pam,
    it sounds like you and your family are having a fantastic time! it's great to hear from you. i hope you are enjoying it out there, and keep on posting your blogs - me and mum love reading them!
    happy easter! :)
    lots of love
    Rosie, Julie and little livvy lompers.

    ReplyDelete