Monday 19 April 2010

Full circle

OK so we've come full circle, and we're back in Clarens in the pouring rain. We would have been on the plane now but for the ash cloud. It's been a few days of challenges - emotional, practical and financial. But the decision is that we wait for the next flight Virgin can offer us (2nd May now!) so we're booked on that. Virgin don't seem to be too forthcoming on alternative arrangements unless we have thousands of pounds to spend. No wonder Richard Branson always looks so happy. We had to pay £225 just to postpone our internal flight and we also had to extend the car hire. But the good news is that we've got free accommodation, we're self catering and, let's not forget, I'm with my favourite 4 people on earth. We hear stories of folks being put up in 5 star hotels but we also hear stories of folks being really stuck. I can only imagine the media coverage back home - is it all people on airport camp beds, cradling babies and looking ravaged? We're out of it really, although if Jeremy Vine phoned me I'd definitely ham it up a bit, it'd be rude not to. (I could threaten to pull Richard Branson's beard in a fit of rage)

So anyway we came back to Clarens because our New Best Friends Gavin and Lynne are away and they offered us the house. Great. And we plan to return to Durban next week when we've sorted ourselves out a bit. I feel safe here and Col's hoping to work - I didn't fancy navigating Durban alone as we ended up in some pretty rough bits yesterday. (Even at the entrance to the aquarium they searched our bags. And there was a sign up. "No firearms. No picnic hampers. Enjoy your stay". What damage could be done with a picnic hamper?)
I'm not sure what we'll actually DO here in Clarens though - a very very big jigsaw perhaps? I'll probably feel more creative in the morning. It's nice to be doing half our time here, half there - that way we're not abusing anyone's kindness too much, I mean who really wants a family of 5 camping out with them for a full fortnight? We are blown away by peoples' kindness, we feel part of a very big and wonderful family and I don't really know what we'd have done if it were any different.

Today a great mission was accomplished. We found the best milkshakes in the world, recommended to us by Pete the glass blower. He said if we ever went in to Durban we must go to a certain Mall and just ask around and they'd know where we meant. So that's what we did - it was a very serious task and I can report that YES, they really were The Best. Belgian Chocolate flavour. Even more delicious: Broadwater School phoned my mobile during the quest to ask about the whereabouts of our sons! Can you imagine the glee of said sons? Double jubilation. Sorry Mr Tostevin, we did try and run through some times tables tonight on another endless car journey, honest.

In the mall I went in to an Indian shop full of beautiful saris and was suddenly aware of the state we looked. The kids are a mass of grazes and scrapes, their feet are black from running around outside, and I look like I've been camping out. 4 week old nail varnish on toes, hair "inexplicable" as Chandler said to Monica, and suddenly we were in designer-ville. It is as if we're ping pong balls being bounced around between totally different worlds. One day you're in a mud hut, painfully aware of looking so rich, carrying your digital camera and bottled water, next day you're getting pitying glances from exquisitely dressed sales assistants. It's certainly a land of extremes. Like today - we woke up by the ocean - coconut trees and lizards, and we're going to bed in the mountains - nearly ran over an owl if you can believe that?!

I hear Leighton bought more food for the gerbils. What else is he up to? Playing the piano to his heart's content I hope, maybe the builders are singing along. Enjoy yourself Leighton. Have wild parties, live a little! All I ask is that you save me a tea bag, I miss PG tips.

7 comments:

  1. So bizarre that firearms and picnic hampers are in the same sentence! Anyway, glad to hear that you are surviving, despite all the chaos... Thinking of you all.... I saw lots of rusty broken things in the countryside last week, made me think of our cool photo lessons and how much i'm looking forward to seeing your africa shots when you eventually do get back (although saying that, i probably won't be back until at least when you are... ) Anyway, much love Nichols family, enjoy Africa... Becky x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Media coverage at home? Well, I think the phrase 'Dunkirk spirit' has been bandied about a bit and the Royal Navy is sending battleships to collect tourists from Benidorm (or something).
    I hope you have lots of books to read, Pam. What a malarkey.
    We miss you.
    I hope my Sunday lunch date is still on with you guys? Under the circumstances I feel that I should be offering to cook instead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to hear from you again so soon. Theo told me tonight we have to start remembering his times tables - so thinking of you in the opposite hemisphere doin' the same stuff. R & A have a school trip to a farm tomorrow, but I can't go 'cause I'm doing 2 Caterpillar music classes for toddlers :( Am glad I haven't gone down that route for my long term future. More about that another day. So, life ticks on....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Planes, trains and automobiles........back in Orlando after dragging the children across half of america (well it did feel like it!)....with numerous fluffy toys dressed in their New York t-shirts.......who couldn't possibly travel in the suitcases! We've been given 1st May as a flight date but that will be into Manchester so hoping something else comes up. Glad to be back in familiar territory....need to do some washing tomorrow:) lol Debbiex (Alexander and Amy say hi - will be catching up with their schoolwork together!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have just to keep this up Pam, I laughed so loudly about the monkeys that Mik came to find out what I was laughing about. He then did it too. The picnic basket, in answer to your question I can't work out what you could have done with it. I don't have one, but shall view them in the shops with renewed interest! You have a gift with writing this blog that shouldn't be lost when you return. You do mean to come back do you....
    Love to you all

    Sue (and Mik)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becky Fox nice to hear from you. I also thought of you today because I bought... a BUTTON!! (Well, I didn't have enough..) Oh how I wish I'd packed some craft projects with me - my button cushion cover would have been finished... x x x
    Linda - course Sunday lunch is on. What could possibly prevent that? And yes, I brought two books but haven't finished either because of three small children. You were right. I repeat - you were RIGHT! x x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, i'm so glad you're still appreciating buttons, even in Africa!!... I reckon you should buy a little badge too... for your other cushion with badges on.. i seem to recall you wanted badges that had interesting tales of adventure attached to them, and one from this trip in Africa would definitely give you plenty of opportunity in the future to recite many an interesting tale... Becky xx

    ReplyDelete