Wednesday 24 March 2010

Pack-athon 2010

If only we had sponsors we could have done it for Sports Relief.  It's been a marathon pack, and I'm not exactly famed for my packing skills. On our trip it could be hot, it could be cold, it could rain - basically we need everything. Part of my charm is that I tend to leave it until the last minute and, worse, I want to leave everything tidy (why? It's not tidy when we're here, so why leave it tidy when we're not even around to enjoy it?). 

The problem with being a last-minute-person is that there's no time left for things to go wrong. Like having to see my hero-dentist-friend Pete today about a chipped tooth, and then tonight having to see various policemen because, would you believe it, someone has careered in to our empty car tonight and written it off in a drunken hit and run. One minute Col's round the corner buying a balti at Eshna's, then next minute we're picking bits of Alpha Romeo up from all along our street. Talk about ruining somebody's curry night. On the positive side several neighbours came out (it was a very loud crash) so I can confirm that community spirit is alive and kicking. Also positive, I hadn't wasted any time clearing the car out as well as the house. 

OK, well on with the show. I only have to finish eating the contents of the fridge and then we can leave. Here's what we're looking forward to:
Evie: 
1) dancing   
2) riding a giraffe (aren't their backs too sloped?)  
3)  seeing a monkey and if he's fluffy and if it likes her, giving it a sticker
Isaac: 
1) seeing cool cars at the airport (I blame Jeremy Clarkson for this)  
2) having his own telly on the aeroplane 
Fin:
1) having his own telly on the aeroplane 

I don't think I will really believe it's happening until I am sitting on the plane with a large (plastic) glass of something. In fact I will toast you all. We've had many lovely messages and we feel very grateful for the friends we have so thank you.  x


5 comments:

  1. I've got to add that the car has a huge dent in the door and is probably written off. On the upside, it does lessen the pain of the previous four scratches and minor dents that Pam was unfortunate enough to have been involved in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha.. i love the fact that you want to leave your house tidy!...Also, why does all the drama happen once i've left.. like cars being written off and street gatherings?!.... Anyway, have a lovely time Nichols family... Africa will be blessed to have you... xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you have a wonderful time. If you stay on a bit you can catch the World Cup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pam,
    I did try to reply to your email on my phone but alas it never sent! It said 'look forward to seeing you in SA. Keep it together we're all rooting for you too. (regarding packing)".

    Seems like you got it all done alright if you had time to blog!

    Lots of love,
    Jeni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nichols We love you, have a fantastic holiday. Sorry to hear about your car, does it join the previous car in the big car heaven? lots of love Do you need picking up from airport on return if youcouldnt drive up there? Our Weds news was a rat in the lounge !!!!!!!lots of love ali si. joe charlie and sam. we miss you all. please take care and may God bless you and keep you safe.xxxxx

    ReplyDelete