Wednesday 13 April 2011

Baby boom

One of my favourite things about being in a community church is welcoming new babies. It's always a joy, but just lately there have been quite a few extra special ones, and it's been so moving watching people light up when they realise the new babies have arrived at the meeting for the first time - lots of cuddles all round, lots of love and encouragements to the new 'big brothers or sisters', lots of wonder at babies' teeny feet and perfect little heads etc etc - we can't get enough of it! The way time flies... the way we can't remember anyone being so small before... the way they look like their parents....it's as if it's a brand new concept each time!
I am really proud of church during these times - meal rotas kick in and boy do they hit the spot. I remember being on the receiving end myself - we'd be almost hopping up and down with excitement waiting to see what was for dinner. And it was delivered by someone who was excited for us and gave us yet more attention as well as the meal! Fabulous. There's nothing like the ravenous hunger of a new mum, and to have a full meal without having had to cook it, well it was perfect. Sitting amongst piles of washing, with bleary eyes and a body that ached from head to toe, I tucked in and I loved it. I had a lot of wine too (for medicinal purposes).
I think in church these babies have the most enormous extended family but they don't know it yet. I can't wait to see them grow up and to see what they add to the mix. But for now, welcome little babes; you are already a part of us and we couldn't be happier to have you.

No comments:

Post a Comment